|Can I use ice to cool the burn?
||No, why because Ice may further damage the skin. So better to use water only.
|Can I put plaster over a burn to make sure it doesn't get infected?
||Use cling film /clean plastic bag to cover burns which will help prevent infection but dont use adhesive bandages which
sticks to skin may cause further damage. .
|Can I Remove clothes / Jewellery stuck to the burn?
||No, It can cause more damage.
|Do's for burns
- If any serious burns (Electrical / chemical / face / genital area burns) to children / Adults Call an ambulance immediately.
- If person is not breathing normally Apply Cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- If clothes and jewellery not sticked to the burned area remove them.
- For 10 minutes to half an hour, Hold burned area under gently running water.
- For chemical burns to the irrigate the eyes with water / saline solution to prevent corneal damage.
- Elevate limbs higher than the heart for second degree burns.
- keep the burned area clean, dry, non-fluffy cloths lightly over the burn and loss of body heat are used to reduce shock.
- While waiting for ambulance / transporting person to hospital Cover him / her with a cool, wet, lint free cloth.
|Don'ts for burns
- Applying butter, grease, lotions, oil at burned area.
- Use ice, as it may cause frostbite.
|What to do when person is Unconscious?
||Just Tilting head backwards and pulling the tongue forward will help to clear the airways.
|If the person has back / neck injury can I turn them on their side?
||Yes, move them onto their sideby keeping spine in a straight line, keeping in mind that priority breathing.
|What to do if the victim is feeling faint?
||Tell the victim to lie down on their back and raise their legs to improve blood flow to the brain.